At Maddox & Gerock, P.C., our experienced attorneys are familiar with the complex issues of Virginia spousal maintenance laws. We strive to reach a just and fair agreement between our client and the opposing party whenever possible. If an acceptable agreement cannot be reached, we vigorously pursue and protect our client's rights in court.
In Virginia, spousal support is sometimes referred to as alimony. Virginia courts follow a series of factors in determining the amount of spousal support, including:
- Financial needs and resources of each spouse
- Age of each spouse
- Physical and mental condition of each spouse
- Financial contributions to the marriage
- Length of the marriage
- Standard of living established during the marriage
There are a number of options available to those seeking Virginia divorces and alimony. The lawyers of our firm can help people with any aspect of Virginia alimony laws, including provisions for:
- Permanent alimony / spousal support, in which payments are awarded until death or remarriage. Few states apart from Virginia still award permanent alimony.
- Rehabilitative alimony / spousal support, in which payments are awarded only for a predetermined period of time.
Once the court determines spousal support, a court order is established to ensure enforcement. If the person paying alimony does not honor the terms of the order, he or she can be found in contempt of court. If there are any changes in the ex-spouses financial situations, the proper course of action is to petition the court for a modification.
To speak with us about your specific situation, please contact our attorneys today to set up an appointment or call directly at (703) 883-8035. For further information about a variety of legal topics please visit our E-Newsletter, our Web Blog our Family Law Information Center, or our Child Custody & Visitation Practice Center.