If you or your spouse is in the military, additional considerations may apply to your divorce. As with a military deployment, military divorces require constant vigilance, preparation and attention to detail. At Maddox & Gerock, P.C. we have experience addressing aspects unique to military divorces. Military divorces can differ from standard family law cases in regards to:
- Domicile and residency requirements for filing and service of process
- Compliance with military rules and regulations regarding family support
- Military retired pay as marital property under the Uniformed Services Former Spouses Protection Act (USFSPA)
- Military retirement benefits
- Service-member's Civil Relief Act (SCRA)
Due to the complicated issues that arise in a family law action involving a military member, clients need an attorney who understands the USFSPA and other aspects in this challenging area of the law. To learn more about Virginia family law and the divorce lawyers at Maddox & Gerock, P.C. please contact us today. For further information about a variety of legal topics please visit our E-Newsletter, Family Law Practice Center, or Child Custody & Visitation Practice Center.